Monday 18 July 2005

Men From Boys

a collection of short stories edited by John Harvey
----------

For obvious reasons I can't really relate the plot of this book, I can just quote John Harvey from his introduction to the book:

"Just men.
Men writing, for the most part, about what it is to be a man.
To succeed; to fail. To open one's eyes."


Now I'm no die hard short story fan. I believe that short stories can be infinitely more difficult to write than a full-length novel, that they demand more stylistically from the writer. There are writers who write wonderful novels who still can't put together a short story that works. But also there are writers whose style seems to be honed to a perfection not found in their full-length novels when they're forced to restrict themselves to the short story format. And then, of course, writers who excel at both.

Still, what I appreciate most about reading short story collections is the opportunity to sample writers I've not read before. In all I'd say that this collection offered both an enjoyable read, and that goes for most of the stories included, as well as introduced me to a few new writers whose work I'll be checking out.

The writers included in this book are:

Mark Billingham
As he is included in my 'Dependable' link list you might know how highly I think of this writer. Check out his website or try one of his books and find out for yourself.

Lawrence Block
For a long time, after having read one of his Matt Scudder books, I thought him too macho for me. But then someone gave me "Hit Man" and I now have a great appreciation for his writing.

Andrew Coburn
A new acquaintance for me, and one I'll certainly be looking into reading more from.

Michael Connelly
What can I say - he never lets you down.

Jeffery Deaver
A great writer of full-length novels, a master at short stories.

John Harvey
I haven't read as much of John Harvey as I would have liked, but what I have read I've enjoyed thoroughly. Try "In a True Light" or "Flesh&Blood".

Reginald Hill
Unfortunately I have a problem with both jumping in at the ninth or so book of a series, as well as starting to read a series after having already seen a TV version of the same. Unfortunately because every time I encounter Hill's writing I find it to be very good. Perhaps I should try to fight my hang-ups?

Bill James
I hadn't read anything by him before. What was included in this book was cut out of a full-length novel and I'm sorry to say it didn't entice me to look it up.

Dennis Lehane
A fantastic writer, his best-known book is probably the film (sic!) Mystic River. Personally I'm a huge fan of his Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro books.

Bill Moody
Another new find to be looked into.

George Pelecanos
I can't tell you how many insightful people have sung this writer's praise to me, but again someone whose work has come across too macho for me. The short story here really impressed me though, so I'll definitely give Pelecanos a new try.

Peter Robinson
Contrary to my normal habits I got into his Alan Banks series quite late on, but now I'm on the look out for every new release.

James Sallis
New to me, and I'm afraid I had trouble keeping focused on his contribution to this book.

John Straley
Another previously unknown. Very well written story, but the ending left me kind of clueless. My bad I'm sure.

Brian Thompson
I haven't read anything by him before, but enjoyed his story.

Don Winslow
I have been trying to find something by him, on recommendation from normally well-informed sources, but haven't managed to lay my hands on anything yet. Will certainly put in more of an effort now.

Daniel Woodrell
I have only read one of his books, "The Death of Sweet Mister", which was a wonderful book, as was his story in this collection.

No comments: