Tuesday 23 September 2008

Edward Finnegans Upprättelse

(English title: Redemption)
by Roslund & Hellström

----------

Edward Finnegan in Marcusville, Ohio is consumed by hatred, hatred for the person he believes murdered his 16 year old daughter.

On board a cruise ship between Finland and Sweden John Schwarz loses his patience with a drunken passenger's physical advances on several women. When he is placed in police custody for assault it starts becoming clear that he isn't who he claims to be.

Police detective Ewert Grens and his colleagues starts to unravel the complicated story behind John Schwarz. On both sides of the Atlantic Ocean lives are turned upside down and political schemes put into play.

----------
I have conflicting feelings about this book. In the beginning I found it fragmented; the story switched between the US and Stockholm, between yesterday and today, and I thought the dialogue lacked flow. But then I seemed to pass a critical point and was sucked into the plot; I needed to find out what had happened and would happen to John, to Ewert Grens and his colleagues, and couldn't stop reading. But then the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

I still think I will read more books by Anders Roslund and Börge Hellström. But this particular book I would only recommend with caveats.

Roslund & Hellström has also written:

Odjuret (2004)
English title: The Beast


Box 21 (2005)
English title: The Vault


Edward Finnegans upprättelse (2007)
English title: Redemption


Flickan under gatan (2008)
English title: The Girl Beneath the Street

No comments: